Tuesday, March 5, 2013

DIY elastic hair ties {Pin a week 8/52}

I have long, almost waist-length hair. It can be a major pain sometimes. Not enough to convince me to cut it off, but enough that something has to be done about it if I want to stay sane. This means that I put my hair in ponytails/buns a lot and go through more than a few hair ties. (Side note: Where the heck do hair ties and bobby pins go?? It's like magic... I buy a new pack and they slowly start disappearing to who knows where. Please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem!) I have seen these nifty elastic hair ties for sale around the internetz but they are CRAZY expensive. I'm not willing to pay $12 for a pack of 5 ($2.40 each!) especially since I know I will probably definitely lose them.

I thought they would be pretty easy to make, though, so I made a trip to Pinterestland and found a nifty tutorial. (Click here to see the one I used)



These are seriously the easiest things to make. Don't believe me? Here's the instructions.
  1. Cut elastic
  2. Tie a knot
  3. Melt the ends with a lighter or candle
  4. The end


Wanna know why I love these so much? Of course you do. ;) First of all, they are SO inexpensive. I bought my elastic here for $2.55 for 5 yards. Yep, you read that right. TWO FIFTY-FIVE FOR FIVE YARDS! That's 15 feet, or about 20 hair ties, which means they cost about about $0.12 a hair tie. Score! Second, they are really nice to my hair. They don't leave a crease or tear my hair when I take them out. And third, they look cute on my wrist. Pretty much a win-win-win. 


2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with bobby pins and hair ties. TJ finds bobby pins everywhere and it drives him crazy. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my hair would handle these. I need the store elastics so my hair doesn't get torn up. Sensitive hair = non-cute ties for Zoe.

    ReplyDelete