Wednesday, April 24, 2013

20 seconds of insane courage

Have you ever seen the movie We Bought a Zoo? 

If you haven't, I definitely recommend it... as long as you love heart-warming, tear-jerking movies featuring Matt Damon and lots of awesome animals. ;)

My favorite part of the movie is this quote:


I don't know about you, but one of my faults is that I tend to keep myself safely within the bounds of my comfort zone. I've certainly improved a lot in the past few years, but I still can be very intimidated by fears of failure or embarrassment. 

This is so silly, because when I think about the most rewarding and wonderful experiences of my life, they are all things that took me well outside of my comfort zone. For example, a year and a half ago I spent 4 months in Russia teaching English. Was it scary? Yes. I was pretty nervous. Russia is kind of crazy, and since this was actually the second time I traveled there I knew what I was getting myself into. But was it awesome? YES, and I miss it terribly. I am so thankful I swallowed my fears and went for it. 

Teaching seminary is another great example. It is very challenging, but I can't even tell you how much I love it or the things I've learned. If I had chickened out (I've never turned down a calling, but I was tempted... haha!), I would have missed out on a lot.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you have to get out of your comfort zone and have a little insane courage if you want to accomplish great things. Don't be afraid to pursue a secret dream, tackle any obstacle that you encounter, or break out of your comfort zone.



P.S. Here's the song that inspired this post. I love me some Sara B., and this song makes me happy.
I wanna see YOU be brave. 



Do something crazy today! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment