Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Call someone today

I'm really, really horrible at keeping in touch with people. I just tend to forget, or I put it off until it is more convenient to call/write (which obviously is never, I'm too busy for it to ever be "convenient"), or some other silly thing happens that prevents me from doing it. 

This makes me sad. I regret not talking to my family more often, particularly my older siblings and grandparents. Thankfully I do facetime with my parents and younger siblings often, partially because I just can't get enough of my adorable baby sister (and love being entertained by the rest of my cute siblings too). Other than that, I am really bad at keeping up with family, especially since we are spread across several states.

Lately, I've been feeling like something needs to change. I've got to be better. This morning, I had the thought come to my mind that I should give my grandpa H. a call. "Ok," I thought. "In a minute when I finish what I'm doing." A few seconds later, the thought came again. "Give him a call. Right now."

So I did. 

And I am so glad I listened to that prompting. 

My grandma H. passed away somewhat suddenly a couple of years ago. It was is really hard on my sweet grandpa. He just loves her so much. Every time I have talked to him since then she is almost always the subject of our conversation  He asks me how married life is going, and then tells me (again) how much he loves and misses his Lila. That means so much to me. I am thankful to have parents and grandparents that have taught me by example how to have a happy life and marriage. I'm also grateful to have been close with all four of my grandparents.

While he spoke of my grandma today, it reminded me again of how fragile life is and that it may not be long before he is reunited with her. That also makes me sad. On the other hand, it also makes me thankful to know that families are eternal. Isn't that just wonderful? I love that so much about the gospel. Family is the most important thing and I'm so happy to be sealed to mine for time and eternity. 

Grandpa H and me at my wedding last year. Isn't he cute?
My challenge to you is to give someone a call today. Or maybe shoot someone a message. It only takes a few minutes but it can make a huge difference in your life and theirs.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! And I find it absolutely precious that he misses his sweet wife so much. Thanks for the great reminder. I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just what I needed. I keep getting this pestering feeling that I need to call an old friend of mine who is struggling with cancer. I keep putting off, using the excuse that I don't know what I'd say.. I just need to call!

    ReplyDelete