Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Happy places, fresh air, and Lao Tzu

I have a lot of happy places. Here's a few for example:

1. Anywhere that I have a Ben & Jerry's carton in hand
2. Thrift stores
3. Snuggling with my husband
4. Not doing the dishes (I'm at this particular happy place a lot lately)
5. Reading

One of my number one happy places, however, involves cool weather, tall trees, green things, and fresh air. It's even better when there happens to be a quaint little mountain stream involved. 

A few weeks ago I was feeling quite cranky and restless. A little adventure with my camera was just what I needed to cheer up. Something about cold water on my bare toes, warm sun on my cheeks, and the smell of trees, creek, and growing things always lifts my spirits. It's home to me.


Accidentally discovering one of these dead bugs with my hand was not my favorite part of the trip.
*crunch*




The older I get, the more I realize the importance of technology-free, distraction-free, quiet time. Time to think, to be still, and to ponder on the things that are important to me. I think the art of stillness, peace, and quiet is being lost in "bigger, faster, stronger" tone of the world, but I believe there are few things better for the soul than just that: stillness, peace, and quiet. 

Even just a few minutes every day in one of my happy places, whether it be one of the ones I mentioned above, or something like reading my scriptures, listening to or playing music, taking a walk, or just sitting on my doorstep makes a huge difference for me. 

What's your happy place? 

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
-Lao Tzu

1 comment: