Thursday, October 17, 2013

Wanderlust, homesickness, and Segovia

There are few things I love more than travelling. I love to explore, especially off the beaten path, and I sure am glad that I married someone that shares my love for adventure.

However, I do have a bit of a problem. You see, every time I go somewhere I get really emotionally attached, and then I miss it like crazy when I leave, but at the same time I am a major homebody. When I'm away from home for very long I start itching to be back. I spent four months in Russia when I was unofficially engaged to Dallin, and every day was a mix of intense homesickness and equally intense happiness and love for that beautiful, crazy, somewhat sketchy place. Every day I crave Russia's colorful architecture and culture, California's sandy beaches, southern Utah's canyons, Spain's vineyard-spattered countryside, Maui's rocky coasts, Arizona's mountain peaks, and my own home all at the same time. I love them all and wish I could somehow be everywhere at once.

Today, however, I'm especially missing the quaint, picturesque town of Segovia that we visited on our trip to Spain earlier this year. This place was like stepping into a painting from a fairy tale. It's a bummer that there is an ocean between me and this... if only going back were easier and less expensive! 

The castle was my favorite.




Inside the castle

View of the cathedral and town from the castle
Looking up at the ceiling in the cathedral




Roman aqueducts, with Dallin standing at the base for scale.
This was so impressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment